Wednesday, January 2, 2013

So, how do you deal with noisy neighbors without breeding hostility or retaliation?


Normally, I can deal with just about anything.  I'm pretty laidback that way.  Lately, however, our new neighbors upstairs have been out of control.  The kid who moved in - and I say kid because he's young and clearly rambunctious - seems to have friends over often who either encourage his behavior or he brings it out in them.

They're loud just talking, physically loud on the floors and depending on the night blare their TV so loud we have had to go upstairs and ask them to turn it down.  When they go on the balcony, they're so loud I can hear and recite back their entire conversations.

Like I said, I'd normally not care but when it's clear that they have absolutely no regard for the people that live around them... Well, that bothers me.  I hate when people have absolutely no regard for those around them.  It's one of my biggest pet peeves behind being late or being made to wait.

We have gone up once before to ask him to turn down his TV when it was so loud we might as well been visualizing what we were hearing.  He turned it down, was apologetic, and that incident hasn't happened again but other things have.

Take New Year's Eve, for example:

Our neighbor had company over. It sounded like the floor above us was going to cave in.  They were so loud, so physical on the floor, they might as well have been caveman going to town on one another over a woman.  This went on for a couple hours.  It was intense.  They finally left and it's been quiet ever since, but it's ridiculous to feel as if your floor is going to cave in because of an upstairs neighbor.

So, how do you deal with noisy neighbors without breeding hostility or retaliation?

I'm thinking of going upstairs and talking to him again.  I don't mind some fun but all the time?  That's not okay.

But we've talked to him before, and he knew we could hear his noise... What if talking to him again does nothing?  Then, what?  I don't want to be that person.  But I also don't want to feel as if the roof is going to come down around me at any second.

1 comment:

  1. I recommend starting a log of days/hours this is occurring. Also record time/day of face-to-face contact.

    If after contacting them three times, the only thing you can do is complain to the manager.

    By law, whether city/state, or just part of the lease, there are noise ordinances that are enforceable. And if your manager refuses to do anything about it after you contact them three times, then it's time to go over their head and send a written, notarized complaint, sent certified mail, to the owners of the property.

    If they are making a lot of noise, and yet are not in violation of the noise ordinance of the lease, there's not much you can do. Unless it's on the side of insanity. I wouldn't hesitate to call the police to make a complaint after all the other avenues have been explored.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comments!