Friday, January 4, 2013

A turning point for the San Diego Chargers


Black Monday 2012.

AJ Smith and Norv Turner
L: AJ Smith R: Norv Turner
The only news of the day I cared about was when the San Diego Chargers - my boys in Powder Blue - fired Head Coach Norv Turner and General Manager AJ Smith.  Turner and Smith were instrumental in neglecting our O Line, failing to choose and support quality draft picks and letting key talent go over the years.  The latter, in my eyes, one of the biggest reasons for lack of stability on our team overall.

(I will NEVER forgive either of them for trading Darren Sproles.  That little guy was one of the most electrifying members of our team for several years, and Turner and Co. threw him away like yesterday's news.)

While I would never wish unemployment and the challenges of it on anyone, in the case of the Chargers, I will make an exception.  We needed this to happen last year.  We needed this to build a championship team.  We needed this as fans to believe in our team.  Finally, Dean Spanos gave Chargers fan what they wanted.  He gave us hope in the future of our team.

Now, the search begins, and I like Spanos' plan for the future.  Instead of just hiring a coach and then the GM, he wants to hire a GM that will play a part in who our new coach will be.

A lot of names have been thrown around for our new coach in particular.  Names such as the also fired Andy Reid who spent 14 years with Philadelphia before being handed his pink slip.  Josh McDaniels, bane of the Denver Broncos, has also been thrown around, too.  While I still think McDaniels is a long shot, I will never forgive the Chargers as a whole team if they hire McDaniels in ANY capacity.

It's going to be an interesting turning point for my Chargers, and I can only hope that Spanos' belief in our franchise as a championship one leads to the right changes and direction for my boys in Powder Blue.

2 comments:

  1. KC has apparently hired Reid so scratch him off the list. I'm not a Chargers fan by any stretch but as an AFC West fan/follower, I was absolutely dumbfounded by their trading of Darren Sproles. Of course, I was dumbfounded by their letting Brees go for Phillip Rivers (who, behind only Jay Cutler, is the biggest whiner/underachiever in the NFL). Apparently we both follow teams currently in transition. At least we're not Raiders fans...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eww, Raiders.

      Yeah, this is going to be interesting this season in the AFC West, especially now for the Chiefs.

      Delete

Thanks for the comments!