Thursday, August 2, 2012

Yes, I'm gay, but I don't support gay "marriage" & I will still eat at Chick-fil-A



This post is going to get me into trouble.  It's going to get me in a lot of trouble.  I have no doubt the comments will be filled with hateful vitriol, I will lose Facebook and Twitter followers/friends and I'll probably receive several e-mails attacking me, my beliefs and this post.  This is why I tend to stay away from these topics.  However, I feel like this Chick-fil-A issue has spiraled so out of control, I can't help but comment on it.

I could care less what the CEO of Chick-fil-A feels about gay marriage and gays in general.  He, just like everyone else, is entitled to freedom of speech.  He owns a private company; he can do with his funds how he feels.  As long as I don't walk into a Chick-fil-A and get asked to leave because I'm gay, I don't care.  There are those of you reading this right now that are saying that because I purchase something from Chick-fil-A, that money I am spending as a gay American is going towards "fighting" my community.

Do you know where every cent of your money goes to when you purchase a cheeseburger from McDonalds?  How about when you purchase toiletries at Walgreens?  What about when you buy a pizza from your local mom and pop pizzeria?  Did you know that many major grocery store chains donate money to politicians running for election?  How many of those candidates do you support?  Unless you can tell me with absolute certainty that every penny you spend everywhere you choose to go is not supporting this, that or whatever, then you have no right to criticize me for choosing to purchase a chicken burrito from Chick-fil-A.

I do not believe in gay "marriage."  That's the primary issue gays will never, ever have equal rights in this country.  You cannot take a religiously-backed word, such as marriage, and ask those that believe in the law of G-d to change how they view it.  Step back, take a deep breath, and ask for civil unions.  There is nothing religiously-charged about that, and it gives you the same damn rights marriage does in this country.  In fact, there are tens of thousands of Americans who are straight that are living in a civil union as opposed to marriage for whatever reason.

Is it ridiculous that gay people can't use the word "marriage" without coming under fire?  Absolutely.  It's a word.  However, when you recognize that trying to convince a person who believes in religion otherwise, you will lose every single time despite the commonsense principle behind "we are all created equal."  When you look at the bigger picture here, the idea of marriage vs. civil unions is also ridiculous.  Our country, and planet, have so many bigger things to worry about than who is with who.

I want equal rights just as badly as the next person, but let's face it: African Americans and women have equal rights under the law, but to a lot of people in this country, they are still looked down upon.  Gays are still fighting for equal rights under the law, they're still looked down upon for being "wrong."  The longer we fight over semantics and the things that don't matter, the longer it's going to take for us to achieve equal rights under the law.  That's the first step, from there, it's still going to take decades before being gay is no longer looked down upon.

If you doubt any of the above, just think how the Women's Rights Movement or the Civil Rights Movement would've played out if the Bible said both communities were an abomination, too.

6 comments:

  1. Ok, first, "Marriage" has as many different definitions as there are cultures on this planet. Interestingly almost every culture developed some version of such in their history, and that formation in most cultures is typically as old as the culture itself. So lets get down to the meat and call a ham a ham. In this country, we're referring to the evangelical Christian right when we talk about marriage and religion in the same breath.
    Now thats thats cleared up, I don't care what it's called, be it marriage or civil unions, as long as the rights provided are identical. But, you must be aware that 31 states have already ammended their constitution to ban gay marriage, and 29 of them have worded the changes specifically to ban civil unions as well. When you talk Marriage vs Civil Union, you're right about talking semantics, because, at least in those 29 states, in order to legalize civil unions, you would first have to appeal the same ammendment that makes marriage illegal. In addition, the people who passed such ammendments in the first place are well aware of the semantics, and are just as vehemently against civil unions as they are against gay marriage. In the end, like it or not, it all ends up being the same fight, against the same people, no matter which words you choose to use. So saying you don't believe in gay marriage, but that you do believe in civil unions is like saying you don't believe in pie, but you believe in cheesecake.

    As to the "free speech" issue... Dan Cathy has a right to his freedom of speech, as protected by the First Amendment to the Constitution. i.e. the protection of an individual from the federal government to express their beliefs in a non-harmful manner. In the interview that started all this bs, he directly connected those same beliefs to his company. I'll be honest, I believe in the rights of neo nazis to express their hateful beliefs as well, but I also support the rights of everyone they offend to speak up about it, and to boycott their bake sales. Suggesting that a corporate entity has a right to publicly spout any hate they want to, and that it should have no effect on their business is asinine. It's a free market, consumers are free to choose where to consume based on whatever criteria they determine. That includes the public stance of a company on any and all issues.
    As for the Womens Rights Movement... you need to re read the old testament. Religion IS the reason that womens rights were not equal. The old testament makes it pretty clear that men and women are not equal, and that woman are not privy to the same rights as men are. A women who commits adultery is to be stoned, a man who lays with the same woman has to sacrifice a goat for forgiveness. A woman may only have one husband, a man has no such limits (Abraham had HOW many wives?!?) All in the same book of the bible that says a man laying with another man is an abomination. Fucking crazy right?

    And the civil rights movement? Not the same, but similar. Blacks were considered "ungodly heathens" when they were brought here from Africa and those beliefs carried from generation to generation and denial of their rights was largely based on that belief by religious groups, christians, to be exact.

    So, the point you were making with that statement? Kind of not valid. And I do doubt your statement that "gays will never, ever have equal rights in this country" I find it ridiculous in fact. Of people under 30, the vast majority believe in equal rights. As more of them come of age, things will swing, just as they did during womens lib and civil rights. The older generation moves on, and the younger generation makes the changes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expected nothing less but a beautifully written rebuttal from you. This is one issue, that regardless of what anybody says in response, will change my mind on. Call me ignorant, call me foolish, but I've felt this way since I was a teenager on this issue. I'm okay with that.

      Delete
  2. This is your Dad. I wanted to post here but don't remember my Gmail name so I'm going with Anonymous. Marti is typing it for me.

    Melissa, as your dad and a human being, I agree with you holehartedly and stand behind you 100%

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. holehartedly = wholeheartedly

      And after I posted your dad said "Make sure you tell her I love her."

      He loves you. (duh)

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Dad! I love you, too!

      Delete
  3. Thank-you, always, for your support! Love you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comments!